Interfaith Community Sanctuary has been building Beloved Community since 1999 when they opened a small church in Ballard and began to form a community that welcomed people of all faiths and spiritual traditions. They promote peace through love and trusting relationships that truly honor the values and practices of all Eastern and Western religions. Their services are inspiring, their commitment to engage and serve the larger community is well known and their growing influence is drawn from the clarity of what they stand for:
As a community,
we endeavor to live in the openness of heart
and compassionate understanding
that embraces all life.
As a spiritual organization,
we are collectively organized to thrive through
listening, sharing, and caring for one another.
As individuals in awe of the Divine,
we support and respect one another’s
personal spiritual path and spiritual practices.
to create a home of Love and Truth as a center of Light for all seekers of Divine Wisdom.
to encourage personal growth in unconditional spiritual Love.
We are a truly interfaith community dedicated to healing and education.
We desire our Worship Celebrations and the life of the community to reflect our interfaith openness and welcoming spirit.
Through our openness, welcoming spirit, and mutual respect, we are a center for healing.
We Believe Interfaith Includes the Following:
We consider all faith and spiritual traditions as paths toward One God.
We believe each expression of God valuable.
We honor all expressions of God.
We welcome individuals from all faith and spiritual traditions.
We consider each person’s path valid for him or her.
We honor the personal path of each sincere, open, honest seeker.
We Offer the Following Affirmations:
We seek the truth and speak our truth without fear.
We are open to hearing and learning from each other.
We reflect on our interfaith vision and nurture it in our hearts.
We pray for the realization of our interfaith vision!
Their “place” is an historic building, the oldest continually operating church in Seattle.
Originally built in 1890, this small frame church shares its birth year with the City of Ballard. Constructed to serve what was the relatively new flock of the German Congregational Church led by Pastor Gottfried Graedel, a true traveling missionary of that era, it served as the house of worship for local German immigrant families for about ten years until it closed for lack of support. The Ballard School Board rented the building for a while as a schoolhouse, but it returned to its original intent as a church in 1904 when another German congregation led by Rev. E. Leutwein acquired the property for the St. Paul’s Evangelical Church. At that time, extensive repairs were undertaken, including the removal and replacement of the original tall steeple, which had become unsafe.
Over the years, other congregations have been housed in this historic building, each moving on to larger quarters and turning it over to other newer congregations. The building was purchased by the New Age Christian Church in 1973.
In 1981, Landmark designation was approved by the City of Seattle for this structure. Ordinance Number: 110352.
Today as home to Interfaith Community Sanctuary, it remains a fine example of the small 19th and early 20th century community churches of the region. http://www.seattle.gov/neighborhoods/preservation/n.htm
Interfaith Community Sanctuary
1763 NW 62nd Street
Seattle, Washington 98107